Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Winter Gear

The Dollar Tree has to be one of my favorite stores. I can find super simple things that allow me to be creative and go nuts at the same time. The other day I found these. 
Now, I wear scarfs once in a while, but not very often. Hats? I'm not a hat person. I try. Put them on, walk out of the house, feel silly, and thats the end of my hat. I really don't know what I would even buy a hat, but the matched. They were soft and seemed worthy of my $1.00 bills. The lady at the register seemed to think they were a good deal too and when I told her I was going to embellish them she looked at me like I had 47 heads. I had red fabric in my house from a old Halloween costume and decided to make those nice big fabric flowers I seem to love so much (bc i do them constantly now). So I cut out my circles and made this. 

I was worried at first that the fabric wouldn't curl bc it was cotton but it worked. Though, it did leave the edges black and burned looking. Normally I would hate that but it made the flower look so vintage and it fit perfectly with my color scheme. 




Try not to stare at my fat stomach. I was trying to show you the scarf actually being worn. It's about the crafts people! LOL. 

Sorry. No make up. SHIELD YOURE EYES!


I liked the way the black scarf turned out so I went to Walmart bought teal cotton fabric and decided to do the same thing with the gray hat and scarf. DISASTER. Although the red cotton fabric curled the teal one just burned. No curl just puuuure burn. AWESOME. Now I was sitting there with like 56789 fabric circles in front of me and nothing. So i improvised. I cut some fabric circles in a spiral shape and sewed them like you would in order to make the flowers i made on the washer necklace. These made pom pom shapes is they were pulled tight and flower like shapes if kept loose. Therefore each larger flower is one flower shape and one pom pom shape for the middle. The smaller flowers are loose flower shapes with button centers. Take a look! 

WARNING- I already mentioned I'm not a hat person. These pictures prove it. Please be easy on me. I'm well aware I look ridiculously bad in these pictures. 






Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Cute ways to embellish simple objects. I LOVE the dollar tree :) One of the funnest places to shop.

    I would love it if you shared this craft on my holiday link share: http://bit.ly/h0FA83 I qualify it as holiday since these crafts make lovely gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl for linking to **Amaze me August** I love the red flowers, they did turn out awesome all singed at the edges like that, he he, and girl, give yourself a break, you look GREAT in a hat, and scarf. So cute!!!

    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete