Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Cork Board TOTALLY redone!

So  I was walking down the hallway at school and one of the teachers was throwing away a double sided cork board. I couldn't figure out why it was double sided because how could you possible used both sides at once?! Anyways, it was a little beat up but I knew I could get some use out of it. It ended up sitting in my basement until I decided what I wanted to make- a message/cork/picture holder. 

Materials Needed:
- 16 bottle caps
-16 pushpins
-1 old junky cork board
-ribbon in your choice of colors
- buttons in your choice of colors and styles
- fabric to cover bottle caps
-Fabric to cover board (size depends on the size of your board)
- Deco Art Americana Acrylic Paint (I used Lamp (Ebony) Black and Calypso Blue)
-Glue gun

1) I started by removing the frame and covering the board with pink fabric. I hot glued it only on the back because hot glue dries hard and I knew if it was on the front the push pins wouldn't go through.


2) Next I ran striped of different colored ribbon diagonally up and down the board. I didn't measure this, just eyed it until I thought they looked even. Again, I only glued the ribbon in the back.

This is what the back looks like after its fully glued. You can put a piece of cardboard over it to cover the mess but I just hung it on the wall, because then you can't see it anyway.


3) I secured the intersections with colorful buttons. Each button got a small dot of hot glue and then I placed them where the ribbon intersected. This way the ribbon was taught enough to hold things, even though it was not glued down in the front. 
The polka dotted things are actually the pushpins. Keep reading to learn how to do them!

4) I then painted the frame that I removed with the Deco Art Lamp (Ebony) Black paint and allowed it to dry. I only used one coat. 



5) While the frame dried I started the push pins. Who wants a fancy board with ugly old pins? I cut the polka dot fabric into squares. Placed a bottle cap on top and hot glued the corners into the cap. Then using another dot of glue I glued the pin into the cap. (see photo below)
See the pin?

Here's a side view. You can see the pin sticks up past the cap so it can go into the board. 

Finished pin.



6) Now that the board was done I had to finish the frame. I scooped up a big glob of Deco Art Calypso Blue paint and went to town flinging it onto the black painted frame.  This can get really messy, so you may want to do it outside. It does give the project a great pop of color!


 7) Once it all dried I slid the board back in and hot glued it shut (seeing a pattern here?! I love HOT GLUE!). 

8) Finally, I made a bow out of purple ribbon and hot glued it on the top for a decorative touch.

Here's the finished product. I'm obsessed!!!!!







Photobucket

I'm linking up to:


4 comments:

  1. How cute! This is too pretty to actually post things into :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cory, way to go on this cork board. I am FEATURING you today, so come grab a FEATURED button girl.

    Thanks for linking up to **Amaze me August** I love having you, and can't wait to see what you link up next :)

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up! LOVE this! Especially love the bottle cap upcycle! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! Great job on the details! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete